Meringue Ghosts in Fillo Cups
We couldn't resist doing our version of a fun Halloween treat. Ours has these adorable meringue ghosts filled with crushed Oreo cookies. These will delight both young and old. Simple to make and long on the fun.
- Preheat oven to 350f
- Place the unfilled pastry shells on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes to crisp up
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the eggs whites, sugar and Cream of Tartar. Using the whisk attachment, run at high speed until the meringue begins to form sturdy peaks. Add the vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute or two.
- meanwhile, fill each warmed fillo cup about 2/3 full with crushed oreos.
- When meringue is ready, use a pastry bag with a large round tip. Or a ziplock bag will do in a pinch (cut off one corner) and pipe the meringue over the oreos and pull up until you have a classic ghost figure.
- add the eyes and mouth if desired
- Bake in a cool oven (200f will work) for about an hour. No longer. Keep a close eye that they do not brown. Let them cool thoroughly before serving, and refrigerate unused ones.