Evil Eye Appetizers with Fillo
We love Halloween! It's so fun to share halloween recipes that will be in the Halloween spirit and tasty! We try to keep it simple so the kids can help. After all it's about them anyway. This recipe is very kid friendly. What is nice about these Halloween appetizers is that they are actually good for you, not full of candy and sugar. No chocolate, no marshmallow fillings, no food coloring, just real food styled to die for.
Quite possibly, I've been reading too much Stephen King this month. He's rubbing off.
- fresh mozzarella - drained and cut in half
- red pepper relish - choose one that has a nice rich red color
- Fillo Factory Mini Fillo Shells - 15 shells
- sliced small black olives - drained and sliced
Before you do anything else, drain the red pepper relish. Use a collander or coffee filter. Just pour it in and let it stand an hour or two for best results. You want as much liquid out as possible. Once it's as dry as you can get it, pat it with clean paper towels, and blend in a small food processor or mash or send through a ricer, till it's pretty smooth. Then:
- Take the still empty fillo cups and put them on a baking dish and bake for about 5 minutes at 350 so they are just crispy, but not any browner- you just want to crisp 'em up.
- Drain the cherry sized mozzarella balls that you will be using, and slice in half.
- When everything is ready, put a teaspoon of red pepper relish in the bottom of the cups. Add the mozzarella "eyeball", top it with a olive ring, and it's good to go!