Phyllo Broccoli Cheese Cigars
And you thought you couldn't get the kids to eat their veggies! Try these crispy, cheezy phyllo cigars next time you are looking for a different approach to a ho-hum meal. You know you've heard that broccoli is good for you. If you really want to know why, read this Helen Nichols blog post on the health benefits of broccoli, there is a lot of information here.
- broccoli - 1 lb
- sharp cheddar shredded - 1 cup
- garlic - 1 clove
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- fresh grated pepper - 1/2 tsp
- softened butter - 1/2 cup
- sea salt - pinch
- water - 1/4 cup
- Fillo Factory Fillo Dough - 1lb box
Preheat oven to 375F
1. Wash and trim the hard parts off of the broccoli, and mince finely along with the garlic.
2. Saute broccoli, garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add 1/4 cup of water and simmer until all the water evaporates stirring constantly.
Cool slightly and blend in the shredded cheddar, and fresh grated pepper and salt if desired.
3. Prepare the fillo dough according to the package directions.
4. Lay one sheet on the counter, brush with melted butter, repeat with two more layers. Cut the dough with a sharp knife cross- wise. See here.
5. Spread a heaping spoonful of the mixture at one end of one of a rectangle you just cut and roll up into a firm log. Lay it seam down on baking paper on a baking sheet. Continue with the rest of them. You should be able to get 8 logs, depending on the size of the broccoli.
Try these with broccoli filling or adapt to your favorite veggie blend..Add to Favourites